Welcome – See the ‘What’s Happening’ page for latest news and prayer

…to our parish website!

We hope you’ll find enough here to let you know a bit about who we are and what’s happening.

 

Easter morning at Portsalon with many friends and visitors

 

 

 

Who Are We?

The Church of Ireland parish of Clondevaddock is situated to the northern end of the beautiful Fanad peninsula in County Donegal.

The parish is part of the diocese of Raphoe.

We are a modest sized parish of about 160 people with three churches, at Portsalon, Rosnakill and Leat Beg.

We see ourselves as continuing a rich tradition of Anglican worship and witness in the area while making it a priority for us is to offer a warm welcome to the many people who visit the area and we aim to include people of all ages and stages of the journey of faith.

Enjoying fun together is important for us and we run regular events for people of all ages to laugh, learn and grow together. Relationship is at the heart of everything we do; relationship with one another, with our neighbours and, above all with God through his Son Jesus Christ.

We are developing a ministry of Christian healing, with regular Healing Services and a Prayer Chain for those who’d like us to pray for any need.

We seek to work together as much as possible with our fellow Christians in the other faith communities in the area and, together, to be a blessing for all the people around us.

Worship

Our aim is to offer worship for all; that engages people of all ages and draws them into an experience of God’s holiness, grace and power.  We see the time we spend together on Sunday as the focus for the worship we offer with the whole of our lives.

Our worship services are relaxed, simple and varied with a good sense of participation. The normal pattern of services is:

9:15am Portsalon: A quiet, simple, generally traditional type of service with an average of 20 in the congregation

10:30am Rosnakill: A family emphasis, with about between 30 and 40 people present on an average Sunday

12 noon Leat Beg: This church also has a family feel to the services with close to 40 on average.

Currently, the Sunday services alternate on a monthly basis between traditional and contemporary forms of service, with a monthly Service of the Word on the last Sunday. On the 5th Sunday of the month, and on occasional extra occasions, the three churches come together for an informal service, at 11am in Rosnakill. In addition we offer occasional extra services, some mid-week, of various types.

Please check the “What’s happening?” page for latest details.

 

 

 

Who’s Who?

such a happy congregation at Rossnakill

Priest-in-charge:  Vacant    

VACANCY

Due to the vacancy – from Easter Day 4th April, Rev David Skuce will be looking after the parish. Contact him on 074 9136187.

 

Hon. Secretary of the Select Vestry: William Carre (temp)

Parish Treasurer: William Carre

Parish Reader: John Scott

Organist:  Kay Deane

What’s Happening?

For up to date information on what’s happening this week please click on the link above for a copy of the weekly news sheet (opens in a new window – Adobe PDF required):

* * * * * * * *

 

 

 

* * * * * * * *

Copyright © 2012 Clondevaddock Parish, Diocese of Derry & Raphoe Website by Nearthing.co.uk

What’s On Offer?

PLEASE NOTE – ALL ACTIVITIES ARE CURRENTLY CANCELLED DUE TO THE COVID 19 VIRUS

Clondevaddock Choir:  Forms at special times

Sunday school:  During the 1st part of the service at Rossnakill and at 11:15 in Leat Beg (during term time)

Youth Club:  Currently not meeting

Indoor Bowls:  Meet on Wednesdays between Jan – Apr and Sept – Dec, at 8pm in Tamney Hall.

Mothers’ Union: First Tuesday of the month (September to June) There are regular meetings for prayer as announced. Occasional faith discovery courses are held. Please see weekly news sheet for details.

image_04

 

 

 

History

IMG_7889  img_8707

The Church of Christ the Redeemer, Rossnakill

The Church of Christ the Redeemer, Rossnakill is situated on the outskirts of the village of Rossnakill. There has been a church (a Friary) on this site since early Christian times. “Cluan” refers to a retreat or a place of retirement and “Dabhaddog”, the Saint who founded and presided over the monastery. St. Dabhaddog founded and presided over a monastery in Rossnakill about the middle of the sixth century. The sculpted head of St Davaddog is to be found on the right hand pillar.

The year of St. Davaddog’s death is unknown, but it is certain he died on 22nd July as this is the day assigned to his feast in both the Martyrologies of Donegal and of Tallaght. Dr. O’Donovan, writing from Rathmullan in 1831 remarks that nothing is now remembered about St, Davaddog but that he lived before St. Columkille, and that he did not allow cuckoos or rats into his parish! Rev. Walter Hegarty (in Twixt Foyle and Swilly) states that St. Davaddog is the same person known as St. Buodan (Boden) where a bell belonging to him is preserved. In the same reference the saint is also described as a missionary to Scotland.

According to records, in 1610 Rossnakill Church was in a bad state of repair and the minister was too old to discharge his duties properly. It was noted in 1622 by the Regal Visitation of Ulster that Rossnakill Church (Clondevaddock) was now being improved as it had been in great decay.

In 1847 the church was newly dashed. The vestry and church bodies undertook work that today we would associate with that of the County Council eg. in December 1844 Tamney street was widened by “presentment”. A new road was made from Tullynadall to Raps and Rossnakill was generally improved and its entrance widened from 12ft. to 22ft.

A major refurbishment of Rossnakill Church took place in 1996 and, in 2017, the whole roof was re-slated, altar back-cloths replaced and various other items updated.

All Saints Church Portsalon All Saints Church, Portsalon

All Saints Church, Portsalon was originally a tin structure built in 1912. This was very badly damaged by “Hurricane Debbie” on September 16th, 1961. The church was rebuilt and re-opened in 1963.   Today it has a beautiful set of stained glass windows and contains the only pipe organ in Fanad. The bell from the sunken ship, “The Laurentic” (1917), hangs here. The windows add a particular charm to this church. They were designed by the H.W. Clokey Studio in Belfast, under the general guidance of Mr. W. Roworth, the attending architect and the incumbent, Rev. G. A. McDonald. The symbolism found in the windows is associated with the name of the church – All Saints. On the left hand side of the nave the theme depicted is – Christ, the Historic Redeemer.

Window 1: Christ’s Birth

Window 2; Christ’s Baptism

Window 3: Christ’s Ministry

Window 4: Christ’s passion

Window 5: Christ’s Resurrection

Moving to the right hand side of the nave the theme depicted is that of the Characteristics of Sainthood.

Window 6: Sacrifice

Window 7: Stewardship

Window 8: Service

Window 9: Sanctity

Portsalon East Window The East Window

In the chancel the beautiful east window depicts Christ in Advent Glory. The small window to the left depicts The Sacramental Bread, whilst the window to the right depicts The Sacramental Cup. The rose window in the porch portrays The Army of Saints. Engraved on the glass panels on either side of the main doorway we find the figure of a fish, the background of which is a large Celtic Cross.

Leatbeg Church Leatbeg Church

Leatbeg Church, was once known as the Adelaide School. It was built in 1843 on half an acre owned by Lord Leitrim by voluntary contributions, the principal subscriber being Queen Dowager Adelaide. It was opened as a Sunday School/ Day School / Parish Centre on the 1st February, 1844. In 1880 the building opened as a church. Before this parishioners had been taken by ferry to Moross and from there they walked to Rossnakill Church.

Clondevaddock Parish Hall

Due to the tremendous generosity of a great many people and a great deal of voluntary labour the Parish Hall in Tamney opened free of debt on the 17th of December, 1983. It was opened by Mrs G. A. McDonald and dedicated by the Rt. Rev. Dr. James Mehaffey, Bishop of Derry and Raphoe.

(Thanks to Jacquie Armstrong & Phil’ Cross)

Contact Us

Rector – Vacant Position

VACANCY

Due to the vacancy – from Easter Day 4th April, Rev David Skuce will be looking after the parish. Contact him on 074 9136187.

The Rectory

Tamney

Letterkenny

Co Donegal

Telephone: 074  9192811

e-mail:

How To Find Us

Portsalon

From Letterkenny take the Ramelton road then on to Milford turning right past the Lidl store to Kerrykeel. At the crossroads Turn left for Portsalon . After 3 miles turn right at the crossroads (shop on left) for Portsalon. The church is easily identifiable on the right a short way down this road.
Geographical coordinates 55.0509° N, 8.2356° W

Rosnakill

From Letterkenny take the Ramelton road then on to Milford turning right past the Lidl store for Portsalon. At Kerrykeel turn left and follow left until you come to the village of Rosnakill. The church is on the left immediately past the Tourism Centre.
Geographical coordinates 55° 11′ 0″ N, 7° 41′ 0″ W

Leat Beg

From Letterkenny take the Ramelton road then on to Milford. Proceed into Milford turning left to follow the directions for Carrigart. A mile before Carrigart take the road right for Leat Beg over the new Harry Blaney Bridge. Proceed across the bridge. Take the second turning on the right. The church is signposted at the crossroads and is just a short distance down this road on the left. Geographical coordinates 55 11.9367° N, 7.46.0344° W